CVS contains LFS-4.0

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 14 05:22:49 PDT 2002

On September 14, 2002 06:28 am, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> want to release LFS 4.0 now, call it "LFS 4.0beta" and keep LFS 3.3 on the
> site next to it. Do not replace the linuxdoc.org version yet.

I don't think there would be that many problems. Sure some things go wrong
with using the new GCC but there are tons of workarounds and fixes out there
already. There's only so much experienced people can test. The true test will
be, as you called it, the people from the second group. If they can install
it without problems then we know we're in the right direction.

Also, because this is a major upgrade I wouldn't just throw away the old
version. Firstly it's always in the LFS Museum but I would keep the last 3.x
version on the main website with a note to definitely try out the 4.0 release
but if there are problems and they can't figure it out, try the older 3.3
version.

I do understand your points but I don't agree with them 100%. I think
releasing is a good thing. It feels a bit rushed but that's mostly only
cosmetically. The installation itself is pretty solid in my opinion.

Even if we keep testing it more, we'll still want that second group's test
results, opinions and their feedback. They don't go the CVS way, they just
wait for a new release. So the longer we wait to release LFS-4, the longer it
takes to get that feedback and fix some of the problems we don't realize that
are there. That only means even more work for 4.1 and later releases.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org