Minor (unneeded?) omission in LFS 2002-0914?

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sat Sep 14 15:31:32 PDT 2002

Alas! Bill Maltby LFS Related spake thus:
> Well folks, after all this time, I finally decided maybe it was worth a
> mention. I didn't find anyplace that told the poor noob user that exec and
> write permission is need in the untar area (like /usr/src). Is it needed?
> The system will tell them if they don't have it.

No, this is absolutely unneccesary. This falls into the category of
"dumbing it down" that I (and others) want to avoid. If a user can't
extract a tarball due to permission errors and can't figure out how to
fix it, LFS is not for them.

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/