GCC and Glibc patches

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Sep 14 19:37:35 PDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 09:41:55PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> On Fri, 13, Sep, 2002 at 08:36:10AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..
> > Included Glibc:
> > 	errlist fix
> > 	dns resolver fix
> > 	xdr_array fix
> > 	calloc fix
> > 	thread exit fix
> > 	udivdi3 fix
> > 	math test fix
> > 	restric_arr fix
> > 	divbyzero fix
> > 	disable profile tweak
> >
> <snip not included; I added disable profile to the list above>
> >
> > Included GCC:
> > 	HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN workaround
> > 	copy fix
> > 	var fix
> > 	cxa_atexit tweak
>
> Gerard, I strongly suggest we include this in LFS-4.0 so that people
> *know* what they're using.  Obviously we only need to document the ones
> whcih aren't explicit (i.e. we don't need to say we're using the
> HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN / cxa_atexit / disable profile tweaks because people are
> typing it in!).  But for the rest, I suggest we document it so that
> people *know* what they're applying.

FWIW, I agree with this. My whole motivation for putting stuff up on the
tweaks page was also to put in some pointers to info so that folk could
read up on the issues and thus decide for themselves whether a patch or
tweak is apropriate or not.

A classic example of this is the old gcc-2.95 patch where most folk will
not have a clue what the hell is going on in there. (as one of the parties
partly responsible for that patch - I personally feel guilty about this)

I get a little frustrated when I find patches with no explanation of what
they do. For eg. no offence to you Tushar, your hints are a VERY valuable
resource, but I find the lack of explanation of what some patches are
supposed to achieve, to be a little disconcerting.. anyhoo, starting to get
OT here so better quit while I'm ahead :)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org