Minor (unneeded?) omission in LFS 2002-0914?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Sat Sep 14 20:10:34 PDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 05:44:12PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> Well folks, after all this time, I finally decided maybe it was worth a
> mention. I didn't find anyplace that told the poor noob user that exec and
> write permission is need in the untar area (like /usr/src). Is it needed?
> The system will tell them if they don't have it.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter05/installasuser.html

says to chown -R lfs $LFS/static

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter05/creatingstaticdir.html

should be mkdir -p $LFS/static/usr/src

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter02/install.html

says to cd $LFS/usr/src (which doesn't exist yet, BTW. If it said
$LFS/static/usr/src...

I'm not a fan of hand holding, but the intended area for compilation (if
strictly following the book) was always the $LFS/usr/src and now we have
typos dealing with the change to /static that don't properly refer to
this. Once fixed, no one needs permission on /usr/src, just $LFS/static

--
Archaic

--
Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.

- General George Stark.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org