GCC and Glibc patches

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 14 20:24:51 PDT 2002

Greg Schafer wrote:

>I get a little frustrated when I find patches with no explanation of what
>they do. For eg. no offence to you Tushar, your hints are a VERY valuable
>resource, but I find the lack of explanation of what some patches are
>supposed to achieve, to be a little disconcerting.. anyhoo, starting to get
>OT here so better quit while I'm ahead :)

Yo:) Actually when I started with patches, my initial thought was to
make one mega patch for the version I was installing, no info on what
the patch did. Over time I learned that it is more useful to have
independent patches with info on what it does rather than having one
huge one (especially when upgrading and testing). But some of the older
patches I had accumulated carried over without explaintaions. Since then
I have started naming them intelligently so as to know what the purpose
of the patch is.

So the next time you ask me what a patch does, I will be able to answer
it in a better way (other than I got it off the net somewhere:)

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org