Minor (unneeded?) omission in LFS 2002-0914?

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Sep 15 02:42:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:16:02 -0500 Archaic <archaic at comcast.net> wrote:

> deal with that stuff. The one thing that surprises me the most is the
> page that shows how to untar stuff. It has been mentioned by Gerard that
> hand-holding in his opinion wasn't desired, so that page is just a
> invitation to people who have no idea of what they are doing.

I agree completely. People who don't know how to unpack a tarball have no
business with LFS. Some people have argued that beginners can use LFS to
learn Linux but applying this argument here is quite a stretch. Some
things are essential Linux knowledge that you can't do without. If you are
actually talented enough that you would be able to pick this up while
building an LFS system, then you are also talented enough to learn this
stuff BEFORE beginning with LFS. Why is it bad to force people to spend 1
or 2 additional days reading manpages on the host distro before they can
start with LFS?
All the people who want to dumb down LFS more and more for the sake of
"learning value" seem to think that LFS is the only way to learn stuff
about Linux. It's NOT! And it's definitely not the best way to learn about
Linux essentials like cp, tar, gzip.

We need to raise the LFS bar again. Stuff like the "How to install the
software" section needs to be kicked out without replacement.

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org