Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Sep 15 03:25:36 PDT 2002

My personal opinion is that the whole section "Where to store the
downloaded software" should be kicked together with the "How to install
the software" section. There is NO justification WHATSOEVER for these
sections. There are howtos that explain this much better, such as the
Software-Building-HOWTO. I think the LFS book should start with a section
like this:

Things you should read before reading the LFS book:

Software-Building-HOWTO

Linux Users' Guide

And I mean it. You should not attempt to build LFS without having the
knowledge contained in the above 2 documents. It is NOT LFS's JOB to teach
this knowledge. The above howto/guides are well-written and comprehensive.
They ship with most distros. They are much better material for teaching
the necessary fundamentals than the LFS book ever was and ever will be.

Yes, telling people to read this stuff is going to scare away some of
them. It's going to scare away all the people who are lazy and prefer
wasting everyone else's time on lfs-support to learning stuff themselves.
Good riddance!

And if we make this change, we can probably simplify a lot of the rest of
the book, too, because we don't have to consider Joe Ignorant anymore.

MSB

--
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago -

The second best is now!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org