Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Max van de Wiel maxvandewiel at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Sep 15 07:48:43 PDT 2002

Dear Matthias,

        Matthias Benkmann wrote:

        > My personal opinion is that the whole section "Where to store the
        > downloaded software" should be kicked together with the "How to install
        > the software" section. There is NO justification WHATSOEVER for these
        > sections. There are howtos that explain this much better, such as the
        > Software-Building-HOWTO. I think the LFS book should start with a section
        > like this:
        >
        > Things you should read before reading the LFS book:
        >
        > Software-Building-HOWTO
        >
        > Linux Users' Guide

I find it a great idea to refer to good lecture one should read before
beginning at LFS. But i dont understand what you mean whit NO justification
WHATSOEVER concerning the where to store the software.

        > And I mean it. You should not attempt to build LFS without having the
        > knowledge contained in the above 2 documents. It is NOT LFS's JOB toteach
        > this knowledge.

Of course its LFS's job and goal; read the chapter about who should read
this book: "...The most important reason for LFS's existence is teaching
people how a Linux system works internally. ... "

        >The above howto/guides are well-written andcomprehensive.
        > They ship with most distros. They are much better material for teaching
        > the necessary fundamentals than the LFS book ever was and ever will be.

> Yes, telling people to read this stuff is going to scare away some of
> them. It's going to scare away all the people who are lazy and prefer
> wasting everyone else's time on lfs-support to learning stuff themselves.
> Good riddance!

Do you really believe lazy people who arent intrested in linuz wast one
second on LFS. I dont believe in this lazy stuff: yekyekyek LOL

> And if we make this change, we can probably simplify a lot of the rest of
> the book, too, because we don't have to consider Joe Ignorant anymore.

Dont forget: you where once Joe Ignorant.

--
Max van de Wiel
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org