Minor (unneeded?) omission in LFS 2002-0914?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Sun Sep 15 08:33:54 PDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:59:08AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >We need to raise the LFS bar again. Stuff like the "How to install the
> >software" section needs to be kicked out without replacement.
> >
> I agree in general that LFS is an advanced project and is not really
> suitable for learning the basics.  However, I feel sections like "How to
> install" are appropriate.  There are many ways to do things, but wen
> need to explain how our specific implementation works.  Its certainly OK
> (even encouraged) for LFSers to change things, but they need to know the
> assumptions we use.

So how about removing the commands for how to unpack and such and just
put in man <command> or a link to something (I would prefer built-in
info as much as possible to help the people who pay by the kB to surf
the web) and then something to the effect of "we assume you run the
package install commands from within their source directory".

It seems that if you know how to unpack, you will know what the term
'source' is and where it is located (and what it's named) after
unpacking.  Likewise, if you are one who is truly interested in learning
and don't know about this stuff you will read the manpages or links
provided and play with it until you do know what to do. Then when
someone asks how to untar something, it will be instantly obvious that
that person ignored the book (and the FAQ, the archives, etc....).

This book is a great learning tool for advanced topics, yet with people
willing to research, this mailinglist is a possibly greater tool for the
newb if for no other reason than people are willing to point others to
info. There was a thread several months ago (IIRC) where I pointed out
that if a newbie had no idea how to do something, chances are he doesn't
know about the manpage, and I for one have been eternally grateful for
pointers like that. This community is helpful and I have no intentions
of not being helpful. When the questions call for it, I reply with a
simple man foo or www.whatever.com. I don't try to give the direct
answer as that doesn't seem purposeful for learning. Then when someone
has a problem beyond that, there are always plenty of people here with
the knowledge to walk through it until it is solved.

I'm in total agreement with Matthias. It's not a "Get lost, newbie!"
attitude, it's just hard to say what you mean without someone taking it
the wrong way. I mean no one ill will, but that doesn't stop my words
from being interpreted that way. Emoticons are only good to a point. ;)

--
Archaic

--
The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very thing
that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.

- Frederick Bastiat

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org