Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Sun Sep 15 09:13:11 PDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 07:47:28PM +0200, Max van de Wiel wrote:
> Anyways: I thought open source ws to prevent people from investing to
> much time learning the same things autodidact. The thing is; you can
> learn

Seems we've come to the root of the problem. Open source means many
things to many people, yet from what I understand it is a means of
allowing others to offer ideas to yours to possibly make better
software. Yet, as a maintainer of a project, that doesn't mean that you
are required to implement someone else's idea. After all, the idea may
not be better at all.

> LFS for it; what i am saying is: you are telling all these support
> stuff is useless ceause someone can gain the knowlidge by reading a
> lot. LOL twice

What is useless is someone asking how do I do this, and getting a quick
and easy answer without researching. One year later, if the problem
shows up again, a person is much less likely to remember the fix without
reading the archives or asking again because they don't understand the
underlying problem and they skipped leaning the fundamentals.

> You can dig into huge paperwork and finaly find out what went wrong;
> but whats the use when someone else has the answer to it; it comes to
> this; you share what you know or dont participate.

We are sharing what we know. We know that if someone doesn't understand
ls or it's switches, then 'man ls' is the perfect solution to their
problems (usually).

> > (Slackware, Mandrake, etc.)
> You wont lern a thing from these distro's except the special rules
> which come whit each of them.

Until I built LFS, everything I knew was from those distro's. man and
info were both included and the man and info pages were there. I was
set. Then I built LFS, learned a little about the process, built it
again while changing some stuff, learn a bit more, built it again,
etc... all the while reading these emails. I read even the ones that
were complete greek to me. Now that I've been doing it awhile, I'm even
able to at least grasp all those Greg Shafer postings (still don't
understand all the stuff, but I'm not completely lost). :)

--
Archaic

--
Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.

- General George Stark.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org