Minor (unneeded?) omission in LFS 2002-0914?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Sun Sep 15 09:35:33 PDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 11:06:43AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I think you and Matthias are going slightly too far.  If we were
> discussing putting in the section in the first place, I would probably
> agree with you.  Now that the section is there, I don't think it hurts
> anything.  The page is short and to the point. It also serves as a
> refresher for those that are almost newbies but have enough background
> for LFS.  Also there are some things in the section that are needed.  An
> example is that package directories should be deleted and reextracted
> before rebuilding.  The section does need to be updated, because it
> refers to putting sources in $LFS/usr/src before it is created.

I never said take out the needed things. Of course you should say it is
assumed to build in /foo and to delete and re-extract the tarballs. That
is information specific to the book. The commands to do it are not. You
pointed out that it serves as a refresher. It has been stated many times
by the developers that a tutorial this is not. Refresher == tutorial
IMO. Of course opinions are always going to argued. :)

--
Archaic

--
No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound
to enforce it.

- 16 Am. Jur. Sec. 177 late 2d, Sec 256

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org