Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sun Sep 15 13:00:23 PDT 2002

Alas! Max van de Wiel spake thus:
> > And I mean it. You should not attempt to build LFS without having
> > the knowledge contained in the above 2 documents. It is NOT LFS's
> > JOB to teach this knowledge.
>
> Of course its LFS's job and goal; read the chapter about who should
> read this book: "...The most important reason for LFS's existence is
> teaching people how a Linux system works internally. ... "

The key phrase in this sentence is "internally". You need to know how to
use linux in order to understand and appreciate how linux works
*internally*.

The car example in another message was bad; you can be a mechanic
without a driver's license. You *CAN'T*, however, be a linux hacker
without basic linux competency!

University level calculus courses assume that you can add and subtract.
Similarly, LFS *should* assume that you have a basic competence with
linux.

LFS is not a project to teach windows users how to use linux, and how to
build linux; it is a project to teach intermediate/advanced linux users
how to build their own system from scratch, if they choose to do so.

For LFS to include information on where to store packages and how to
extract them is a tremendous waste of effort, especially in maintenance.
It is much simpler to point to other sources of information that are
more complete, and more accurate. Not only does it reduce duplication of
effort, it also reduces the workload for LFS editors/maintainers.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org