GCC-2.95.3-2 from LFS 3.3 flunks the regression test in a big way

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Mon Sep 16 04:01:18 PDT 2002

Today I've been tinkering with a new system, and running into an
unsolvable C++ problem trying to build Qt-3.0.5.  From searching it
doesn't look like anybody else has been having the same problem, and
I've run through all the obvious solutions and many inobvious ones with
no luck, so (now that I had tcl and expect and dejagnu and all that
installed) I thought I'd rebuild gcc and run the battery of tests on it
and make sure it was working fine.

To my surprise, the rebuilt gcc wipes most of gcc-lib and then
everything after it crashes and burns complaining that it can't find the
header sttdef.h.  When I looked into it, the directory
/usr/lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3/include only contains g2c.h and the
directory objc.  (Previously it contained piles of stuff, including the
header file everything else is looking for).  However, make check
finishes successfully!

Any idea what's going on here?

This build followed the steps in LFS 3.3 pretty closely.  I'm building
gcc using the gcc-2.95.3-2 patch from the LFS site, against glibc
2.2.5.  A couple packages are slightly newer than in the book (ex
binutils 2.13 instead of binutils 2.12.1).  Since finishing the basic
system I've added X, perl, python, expect, tcl/tk, and dejagnu (which is
needed for the gcc tests).  I suspect either the patch or dejagnu but
don't have any evidence either way.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting