Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon Sep 16 10:26:33 PDT 2002

Matthias Benkmann <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:

> My personal opinion is that the whole section "Where to store the
> downloaded software" should be kicked together with the "How to install
> the software" section. There is NO justification WHATSOEVER for these
> sections. There are howtos that explain this much better, such as the
> Software-Building-HOWTO. I think the LFS book should start with a section
> like this:
>
> Things you should read before reading the LFS book:
>
> Software-Building-HOWTO
>
> Linux Users' Guide
>
> <snip>

Referencing an external document in place of the "How to install the
software" section would be good.

However, there is a problem with this specific suggestion. The book
needs a page or two of consise, relevant, and accurate information
and basic examples. The Software Building HOWTO is more than a dozen
pages of information some of which is of questionable accuracy and
which contains few basic examples.

If this basic information is removed from the book, i believe it will
reappear in the FAQ because i think people will ask for it on the
lists, and whatever people ask for on the lists goes in the FAQ.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org