CVS 20020914 bzip2 install failure

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 16 22:49:12 PDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
>
> >ln: `/usr/bin/bzegrep': File exists
> >make: *** [install] Error 1
> >

> Before doing a make install, I do the following:
> rm -f /usr/bin/bzegrep /usr/bin/bzfgrep /usr/bin/bzcmp

Yep, that's what I'm doing too! But, I think the computer is faster and
more reliable in doing it than I am. So, my philosophy is to have *simple*
restart needs handled by things like make when possible.

I was rather surprised to see that this is not more consistently done.
Grep has exactly the same problem. And there are others.

I wonder what I'm missing in this scenario? Computer = fast, accurate,
reliable. Human = slow, inaccurate, unreliable. Which one should handle
basic restart "clean up"?

I figured LFS does not do it because of the educational aspects. That's OK
by me. But when a real mature distributed package doesn't do it, I am a
little surprised. What the hell is make for if not to destroy things? ;)

> Tushar Teredesai
> LFS ID: 1377
> http://tushar.lfsforum.org/

Bill Maltby