Get rid of (information for) lazy people

Al T. at at fiber.net
Wed Sep 18 07:16:10 PDT 2002

Let me give an opinion based on the subject:

"Get rid of information for lazy people"

Lazy people want less information, less reading, etc.  If you remove
sections, they will have less to read and start asking more questions.
Sending them off to read somewhere else won't help either: they are lazy
and want to avoid reading.

Now, a couple of observations from what I've gathered from other posts:

- What you want to avoid is dumb questions on the lists that are answered in
the book.

- You want people to read and educate themselves.  In other words,
appreciate wisdom by having to do the research themselves.

I agree with both of those observations.  Something I don't like to read is
"Can't compile pacakge xxx or yyy.  Help!!!"  since it does not describe
the problem.  So, to fix the two things above, here are my suggestions:

1. Create a newbie group (if it exists, I don't know where it is) with the
instructions that if this is your first time building LFS, you need to post
there.

2. Have a couple of volunteers (I think you would be perfect) to respond in
this group by referencing the book (e.g, "The answer to that problem is in
chapter 5 under "Introduction").  Whoever does this would need to know the
book really well.

3. Have rules to posting in these newsgroups concerning help.  Have people
specify their host distros, post the last 10 or 15 lines of the output,
etc.  (Sounds a lot like part of chapter 2, under "How to ask for help",
doesn't it?)  If people don't comply with those rules, the only reply
should be "Sorry, we need for info.  Read chapter 2 under "How to ask for
help" so we can find the source of the problem."

4. When a legitimate question comes in, the post can be forwaded to another
list if necesarry.

5. Be nice to newbies.  Don't take out your agressions on them.

I honestly think the book is not to blame.  We simply need to get the
laziness out of people.  We need to set rules of what we will and will not
do in responding to questions, and follow them.
--

@
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org