[noemail915 at hannes-birnbacher.de: $LFS/static in the Book, Version 20020908]

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 19 05:28:29 PDT 2002

----- Forwarded message from Hannes Birnbacher <noemail915 at hannes-birnbacher.de> -----

Hi,

I'm building my LFS (not for the first time) and noted that the
installation directory is now $LFS/static (/...).

Is ist possible that the change has not yet been included in all
places of the book, e.g.

Chapter 3 "How to install the software
(...) cd $LFS/usr/src"
should mean
cd $LFS/static/src

and Chapter 9 "Installing Linux-2.4.19
"The following commands are run to build the kernel:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.19 && (...)"

should be read something like
cd /static/src/lfs-packages-cvs-20020912-1602/linux-2.4.19

if I did follow the instructions in Chapter 5 "Creating the
$LFS/static directory ... you may want to move the packages to
... $LFS/static/src".

If I did not understand the idea correctly I would be grateful
for any comment.
If the Book just was not up to date in all places, I'm sure it
has been changed in the meantime or will be whenever the authors
can spare the time, or maybe the topic is considered as trivial
and self-explaining. In this case please consider this posting as
a hint to newbies like me, should they be puzzled in the same
places as I have been.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org

----- End forwarded message -----

--