general speaking of the cvs lfs (fwd)

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Fri Sep 20 09:53:29 PDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:23:25 -0500
From: Jim Mischel <jim at mischel.com>
To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: general speaking of the cvs lfs

> Is anybody/everybody else also missing "tempfile". Try to run bzdiff or
> about 30+ other apps that use it. I am just starting to investigate if it
> is my screw-up or some package didn't Do Right (TM). I grepped the text
> version of LFS cvs 20020918 and BLFS cvs 20020913 and tempfile is not
> listed as being installed in any of those.

I had a little time to do some investigation.  It looks like "tempfile" is a
Debian utility, installed by the debutils package
(http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/debianutils.html).  The source for
the package is at
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debianutils/debianutils_1.16.tar.gz
.
What to do about this, I really don't know.  One would think that the bzip2
package would mention this as a dependency, but it doesn't.  One other
package that uses tempfile in a script (bashbug, if I recall) actually
checks for existence of mktemp or tempfile.  (LFS, by the way, does not
include mktemp OR tempfile.)  mktemp is available from
http://www.mktemp.org/mktemp.

Jim

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org