Grammer related in cvs: 20020920, patch included

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat Sep 21 19:34:18 PDT 2002

Well folks,

I got to it again. I hope this is useful. Two things to watch for with me.
First, I don't XML, but it looked simple enough as long as I was only
editing already existing things. Second, some of the changes may not be
desirable, for reasons of which I am not aware. Ignore as appropriate and
no post about it is needed - you have enough to do.

Hope it's mostly useful.

Chapter 2

  About $LFS:
    "For example" appears twice - the second one is redundant. Also, the
    display of commands is inconsistent with those just prior. Patch
    corrects that also. Original was:

      in Chapter 4. For example, let's assume that the LFS partition is
      mounted on /mnt/lfs.

      For example when you are told to run a command like ./configure
      --prefix=$LFS/static you actually have to execute ./configure
      --prefix=/mnt/lfs/static.

    Changed the following line so folks get to thinking "su -", from:
      ... time you login as user root, or you 'su' to user root
    To:
      ... time you login as user root, or you 'su -' to user root

  About SBUS:
    Corrected spelling of accurate
    Eliminated a redundancy in the following:
      SBUs don't work on SMP machines. We've seen that SBUs don't ...

  Where to store the downloaded software:
    Suggested intent and wording change from:
      This just makes sense because you would still have access to those
      files when you boot into the LFS system.
    To:
      This just makes sense because you need to have access to those those
      files when you chroot to $LFS and when you boot into the LFS system,
      although access when booted to $LFS could be handled other ways.

  How to install the software:
    I suggest that the following have the "-" prepended to "xvf", since
    this is the way GNU goes for everything they get in their hands.

      tar xvf filename.tar

    Dropped "first" to Eliminate redundancy in the following:
      Before such files can be used they need to be uncompressed first.

    Change wording in the following from:
      ... book (for example re-using the source trees from Chapter 5 for
      use in Chapter 6), it may ...
    To:
      ... book (for example re-using the source trees from Chapter 5 in
      Chapter 6), it may ...

    Change wording from:
      ... after you enter the chroot'ed environment.
    To:
      ... after you enter the chroot environment.

    Add a comma and change wording from:
      ... Nothing will use the kernel tree so the ..,