Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Sep 22 15:53:28 PDT 2002

For some time now, I have been using mount --bind as part of my LFS
install process. I use it, among other things, for mounting my source
archives on the LFS partition. It has proven trouble free. With space
requirements constantly climbing (especially in BLFS), this seems a good
way to cut a certain need by 50% (original download space maintained, no
copy needed for chroot or LFS boot). I use it for both my CD sources and
also for recently updated HD copies.

I have a couple of systems that do not support --bind. For them I had the
luxury of dedicating a partition to hold the source archives and mounting
them.

Additional benefits accrue from the fact that they (may) be on a separate
device (speed) and they may be mounted read-only (protected against even
root's nefarious rm -rf *).

I would like to see these two options explored and considered for mention
in the book: for reasons of education, resource consumption, speed and,
most importantly, security.

Since the book is so cavalier (joke, joke  :-))  ) as to suggest putting
sources under $LFS/usr/src, where they also recommend constantly "rm -rf"
on some directories, it might be a Good Thing (TM) to also recommend ways
that prevent accidental removal of some expensive to acquire resources,
like the source archives upon which the LFS build depends. Being able to
mount read-only is one way, using a CD as the source is another. Both
require that the media be mountable.

Now, I suggest that if you can ask a user to make one partition, you may
ask them to make two. One to hold the source, and one in which LFS is
installed. This would allow those who have no CD-RW and no --bind
available to obtain the benefits of read-only and reduced space
requirements and (maybe) slightly faster installs.

Personally, I tell folks I talk to to put them in $LFS/sources, where
there should be *no* "rm -rf"ing going on.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org