tar usage consistency?

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Sep 22 21:55:23 PDT 2002

In the sectionof the book generally describing how software is to be
installed, an example "tar xvf" is given. I notice it is not consistent
with the usage shown in bzip2. I haven't yet looked to see if there are
others.

In chapter 5, the following text use the -xvf form of tar parameters.

  With a plain tar, you have to use constructions like bzcat
  file.tar.bz|tar xv or tar --use-compress-prog=bunzip2 -xvf

Wouldn't it be better if these could be consistent for those not
that familiar with tar?

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org