Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 23 05:06:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Greg Schafer wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 06:53:28PM -0400, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> > Additional benefits accrue from the fact that they (may) be on a separate
> > device (speed) and they may be mounted read-only (protected against even
> > root's nefarious rm -rf *).
>
> Tell me about it! The mount --bind option is very useful, but it's also
> extremely dangerous. Even experienced users have been known to accidentally

Ummm AFAIKT, that is how certain experienced users came to be known as
*experienced*, isn't it? :P  Not that I know any who gained experience via
that method! ;)

> rm stuff they didn't want rm'ed coz they forgot they had used mount --bind.

It seems to me both better and worse. Worse because it is likely to be
less frequently mounted, and so being exceptional, leading to the
prophesied destruction. Better in that it always catches my eye when I
type in "mount" (i do that a lot sometimes) because it appears twice (or
more) therefore reminding me to watch out!

As you might guess, I use the "ro" option a lot if it is not a CD. Not
that I *need* any protection from anyone in this chair - *much* too ex-
perienced (!) for that.

> Ahem.. not mentioning any names.. :-)

Thank you - you are so gracious! :)

> Greg