More in-depth grammar - cvs 20020922

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 23 05:41:58 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Monday 23 September 2002 6:12 am, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
>
> > II. Part II - Installing the LFS system
> >
> > Chapter 3:
> > Introduction:
> >
> >   Get preposition off end of sentence from:
> >     ... work and which this book is based upon.
> >   To:
> >     ... work, and this book is based upon them.
>
> Wouldn't this be better ?
>
>     ... work, and upon which this book is based.

I had considered that. But a knowledgeable friend who works in the
international arena has spent considerable effort introducing me to the
difficulties experienced by users that have English as a second language.
Although I am not yet consistent in my application of that, I am trying to
use shorter and more "active" phrases. So that is why I selected the one I
submitted. For my own use, I would have used the one you show because I am
quite comfortable with those sorts of constructs.

> > Chapter 4:
> > Creating a new partition:
> >   Change improper capitalization from:
> >     If a Linux Native partition is...
> >   To:
> >     If a Linux native partition is
>
> Actually I think the original capitalisation is more appropriate, because it
> emphasises not only that the partition type needs to be Linux, but that it
> needs to be Linux Native (vs eg Linux Swap, Linux LVM, Linux auto-raid...)

Disagree. "Native" is an adjective, one of many that can be used to fur-
ther specify the type of Linux partition desired. If it were a formal de-
signation, like a proper name, then it should be capitalized. The capital-
ization of "Linux" is correct. LVM is correct as caps because it is an
acronym. Personally, I don't think it adds any emphasis and, because it is
capitalized, might slow a new user as they look for "Native" in a *disk
list.

BTW, note that "Extended" is normally capitalized because it is a formally
recognized proper name for a type of partition, like Linux, FAT...

> >   Change improper capitalization from:
> >     Using this program, create a Linux Native partition.
> >   To:
> >     Using this program, create a Linux native partition.
>
> Ditto.
   "  "