More in-depth grammar - cvs 20020922

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 23 05:50:34 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Wim Villerius wrote:

> > Some more. As usual watch out for goofs by me. Patch attached.
> >
> > Installation of Binutils:
> >   Command explanations:

> >    Eliminate redundancy by chaning from:
> >      ... for each of the object files objfile in its argument ...
> >    To:
> >      ... for each of the object files in its argument ...
> >

> 'objfile' is a non-trivial argument for the size command.
> imo is it - at least - wishful to add 'objfile' in the explanation, like
> this:
>        ... for all files listed in the objfile argument ...

That could also be good. But multiple "objfile" arguments, are allowed so
it is not a case of all the files listed in *the* "objfile" argument
(singular) - it would need to be arguments. And that might bomb the
command because to make a single arguement from several, you would need
enclosing quotes. When the normal C argc/argv processing is done, "BOOM"!

Since this is in the explanations part of the section, not the syntax
section, I lean towards less confusing (hopefully) and more enlightening
constructs (hopefully) that carry knowledge, not syntax.

For *me*, the original distracted from the knowledge it was trying to
convey.