More in-depth grammar - cvs 20020922

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 05:51:38 PDT 2002

On Monday 23 September 2002 1:41 pm, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Monday 23 September 2002 6:12 am, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> > > II. Part II - Installing the LFS system
> > >
> > > Chapter 3:
> > > Introduction:
> > >
> > >   Get preposition off end of sentence from:
> > >     ... work and which this book is based upon.
> > >   To:
> > >     ... work, and this book is based upon them.
> >
> > Wouldn't this be better ?
> >
> >     ... work, and upon which this book is based.
>
> I had considered that. But a knowledgeable friend who works in the
> international arena has spent considerable effort introducing me to the
> difficulties experienced by users that have English as a second language.
> Although I am not yet consistent in my application of that, I am trying to
> use shorter and more "active" phrases. So that is why I selected the one I
> submitted. For my own use, I would have used the one you show because I am
> quite comfortable with those sorts of constructs.

Okay, that makes sense, but I'm afraid I feel that to a non-native English
speaker, the original form with the trailing preposition is actually the
easiest to understand, even though it may not meet the highest standards of
grammatical style.

I think it's one of those choices where you can go for correctness, or
readability, or get an uncomfortable compromise between the two....

> > > Chapter 4:
> > > Creating a new partition:
> > >   Change improper capitalization from:
> > >     If a Linux Native partition is...
> > >   To:
> > >     If a Linux native partition is
> >
> > Actually I think the original capitalisation is more appropriate, because
> > it emphasises not only that the partition type needs to be Linux, but
> > that it needs to be Linux Native (vs eg Linux Swap, Linux LVM, Linux
> > auto-raid...)
>
> Disagree. "Native" is an adjective, one of many that can be used to fur-
> ther specify the type of Linux partition desired. If it were a formal de-
> signation, like a proper name, then it should be capitalized.

In that case I suggest putting 'Linux native' in quotation marks in order to
emphasise that it's a composite adjectival phrase.   Otherwise I believe
there is a risk that people unfamiliar with disk partitioning may think
'native partition' is a standard concept, and we're merely talking about a
Linux version of one....

Antony.

--

Anyone that's normal doesn't really achieve much.

 - Mark Blair, Australian rocket engineer
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org