More in-depth grammar - cvs 20020922

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon Sep 23 10:03:14 PDT 2002

Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Antony Stone wrote:

> > > Disagree. "Native" is an adjective, one of many that can be used to fur-
> > > <snip>

I won't comment on what "Native" is in this context, since this thread
is becoming silly, but i think the original author probably indended
"Linux Native" to be a single proper noun. (Like "New York" which would
never be "new York" even though "new" is, AFAIK, and adjective.)

I repeat, i don't know if the original author is correct, but that
was probably the intent.

> > In that case I suggest putting 'Linux native' in quotation marks in order to
> > emphasise that it's a composite adjectival phrase.

Clumsy, IMHO.

> <snippage>

cheers,
Seth W. Klein