More in-depth grammar - cvs 20020922

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 23 10:17:40 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Seth W. Klein wrote:

> Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

> I won't comment on what "Native" is in this context, since this thread
> is becoming silly,

Ummm... the effort I'm making or the discussion about "native". As
mentioned, I would love to back off this with a clear conscience! :)

> but i think the original author probably indended
> "Linux Native" to be a single proper noun. (Like "New York" which would
> never be "new York" even though "new" is, AFAIK, and adjective.)

Context makes the difference in this example. "New York" is a proper noun
and, as such, both parts should be capitalized. In that instance, "New" is
not an adjective. Just as "Bill" is not and adjective for "Maltby".

Wait! yes, I know you can probbably come up with a thousand good (bad)
adjectives for "Maltby"... just control yourself!  ;)

> I repeat, i don't know if the original author is correct, but that
> was probably the intent.

I have no *strong* feelings about it, but if I wanted to emphasize
"native", I would make it all caps, put asterisks around it or something
like that. Capitalizing the first letter would not be the choice I would
make. Like I said, no *strong* feelings...

> > > In that case I suggest putting 'Linux native' in quotation marks in order to
> > > emphasise that it's a composite adjectival phrase.
>
> Clumsy, IMHO.
>
> > <snippage>
>
> cheers,
> Seth W. Klein