Prerequisite skills?

Nathan Ladd nathanladd at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 12:14:55 PDT 2002

Greg Schafer wrote:

> Hi
>
> Not wishing to fan any flamewars, but thinking about the recent threads
> re raising the bar. Rather than just referring people to the howto (which
> is still a good idea), how about recommending a list of prerequisite
> skills before attempting to build LFS ?

Good idea.

> It could go into the "Who would (not) want to read this book" section.
> "If you don't have all the above skills, you are going to do it tough and
> we recommend you learn a bit more about these skills before attempting to
> build LFS"

I'm going to disagree with you slightly--#lfs and the mailinglists are
getting lots of questions that are answered in documentation throughout the
book--clearly people are skipping those sections!  That's what's annoying
for the people that answer them (timothy :P )--if they read the entire book
and followed instructions and read the needed references, then there
wouldn't be a problem.  The 'n00bs' only read from chapter 5 up until they
see that the next title says "reboot the system" (they probably don't even
read that page).  A list of prereqs would sit nicely in one of the first
chapters, but it wouldn't get read by those who need it.

Here's where it gets complicated--LFS is a cohesive book, and as such a
remider in the chapters where they're cutting n pasting like mad would
detract from the writing style in the book.  Then again, I don't have to
put up with all the lame question that the editors do, and maybe they'd
prefer to interject at some point with a reminder of prerequisite skills if
they felt it reduced lame questions.

So basically I think the idea is good, but we're dealing with people who
blindly cut n paste thru only half the book and may not be likely to even
notice it, much less heed it.
--
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple
that we couldn't.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org