Prerequisite skills?

Nathan Ladd nathanladd at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 16:23:51 PDT 2002

> Perhaps the solution to improve the learning experience is to not make
> it so easy for someone to just copy and paste. Interspace commands and
> comments together (the same way most of the hints do). Keep each patch
> seperate, and give information on what it does. Things like that. Not
> meant as a disrespect, but make it so that it more resembles a book
> rather than a manual. I noticed the same thing in the BLFS book,
> conversion of many of the hints to the book made the instructions quite
> bland.

The cut n paste is a good tool for everyone who doesn't script the install,
and therefore I don't think the solution is to essentially make the book
*worse* because of some ignoramuses.  That being said, I think I have
evolved my thoughts to the point of an idea.

What if ch5 had the quick copy n paste everything, but ch6 didnt include
every mind numbing command.  For example, the glibc patch can be mentioned
in the text ala something like this:

After the linuxthreads is unpacked, apply the patch and begin the build
process (you did read <a href="gregsproposedprereqpage.html">the
prerequisites</a>, didn't you?)

Or maybe like (see prerequisites) to be less obtrusive.  Note that
subsequent patches would not have the link itself, just the usual
notification of there being a patch.

> Now I will go hide before the bricks hit me...

Me too--I feel wierd about treading the line between proliferating ideas and
giving advice to people who are so much more 'l33t' than me.

--
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple
that we couldn't.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org