Add'l in-depth grammar - cvs 20020923

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Sep 23 20:55:20 PDT 2002

WARNING! I get conflicting output styles when I run cvs diff. I have
re-checked out the chapter 5 and appendixa, as well as the whole directory
for LFS. I don't know if something in the previous patch I sent is the
cause, or something left over in my local dir (I am still ignorant
regarding the XML and CVS/RCS stuff).

Anyway, that's my "heads up".

This complete chapter 5. I'll relax for a day and start chapter 6
Wednesday. Hope this stuff is good for your use.

The usual warning - I'm not expert at this, cover for me if you can.

Chapter 5:

Installation of Fileutils:
  Descriptions:
    Extra comma - From:
      ... creates a FIFO, character special file, or block special ...
    To:
      ... creates a FIFO, character special file or block special ...

Installing Findutils:
  Descriptions:
    Missing "s", From:
      ... locate scans a database which contain all files ...
    To:
      ... locate scans a database which contains all files ...

    Comma needed? From:
      ... locate database is fairly up-to-date else it will provide
    To:
      ... locate database is fairly up-to-date, else it will provide

    Missing "s", From:
      ... file system (including other file system that ...
    To:
      ... file system (including other file systems that ...

    Added missing comma - From:
      ... used by the locate program which retrieves ...
    To:
      ... used by the locate program, which retrieves ...

    Better wording? From:
      ... a file can be created that contains all these files (one per
          line) and use xargs to perform that command on the list.
    To:
      ... a list can be created that names all those files (one per
          line) and xargs can perform that command on those files.

Installing Gawk-3.1.1:
  Descriptions:
    Inconsistent caps and unneeded definite article - From:
      ... implementation of the AWK, a pattern ...
    To:
      ... implementation of awk, a pattern ...

Installation of GCC:
  Command explanations:
    Add missing comma - From:
      ... creates the $LFS/static/bin/gcc symlink which some ...
    To:
      ... creates the $LFS/static/bin/gcc symlink, which some ...

  Descriptions:
    Inappropriate simi-colon? - From:
      ... These are the C++ compiler; the equivalent ...
    To:
      ... These are the C++ compiler, the equivalent ...

    Clarification? - From:
      ... good idea to not do this manually to save a lot of time.
    To:
      ... good idea, to save a lot of time, to not do this manually.

Installing Gzip-1.2.4a:
    Clarification? - From:
      ... zcat uncompresses either a list of files on the command line or
      its standard input and writes
    To:
      ... zcat uncompresses either a list of files on the command line or
      a file being read from its standard input and writes ...

Installing Patch-2.5.4:
  Command explanations:
    Inappropriate parenthesis and semi-colon? - From:
      ... hurt compilation on other platforms (such as x86); so we ...
    To:
      ... hurt compilation on other platforms, such as x86, so we ...

Installing Sh-utils-2.0:
  Installation of Sh-utils:
    Commas needed? - From:
      ... It is however safe to apply ...
    To:
      ... It is, however, safe to apply ...

    Run-on sentence? From:
      ... even if you are running a different glibc version, so if you
      aren't sure, it's best to apply it.
    To:
      ... even if you are running a different glibc version. So, if you
      aren't sure, it's best to apply it.

Installing Texinfo-4.2:
  Descriptions:
    Comma needed (?) from:
      When the info program is run a list with ...
    To:
      When the info program is run, a list with ...

Finished chapter 5. I'll break for a day an continue with chapter 6
starting Wednesday.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com