New packaging system :)

Goldman Michael sgmm at math.technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 24 09:30:20 PDT 2002

Well, while installing LFS once again, I was tired to see, how each
package installs all his binaries in one common dir, and whey are all
mixed up after all. And when you want remove something later on, then if
you are lucky, you have to download package again and run ./configure &&
make uninstall or just start to search makefile. While I did not wanted to
start using rpm and such, I did the following setup.

When I want to install some package, I configure is with
    --prefix=/usr/local/<package_name>
after make install, I have all /usr/local/<package_name>/bin
                               /usr/local/<package_name>/lib
                               /usr/local/<package_name>/man
and such.
Then I do
cd /usr/bin
for i in ../local/<package_name>/bin/* ; do ln -s $i . ; done
and the same for lib, man, sbin, etc...

and of course I symlinked /bin->/usr/bin, /lib/->usr/lib, etc...
And the package contained shared libs, I added corresponding path to
/etc/ld.so.conf and reran ldconfig.

I installed that way everything (in chapter 6), even kernel headers.
The only exception was for kernel modules that were installed in usual
default path.
So my /usr/lib /usr/bin /usr/include, etc... contain symlinks only.
And you want remove something you just remove corresponding dir in
/usr/local and then just search for broken links in /usr{bin,lib,....}
Seems to be easy and handy enough.

With above setup I finished the book without any unusual problems.
(book - cvs 22/09/2002) And things seem to work fine.

Did anyone have this done before?

It would be great to hear any additional hints/possible pitfalls.

Regards,
Michael Goldman.
If officials try to convince us that they are fair, why they do not pay
taxes from bribes

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org