New packaging system :)

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Tue Sep 24 09:44:12 PDT 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Goldman Michael wrote:

> When I want to install some package, I configure is with
>     --prefix=/usr/local/<package_name>
> after make install, I have all /usr/local/<package_name>/bin
>                                /usr/local/<package_name>/lib
>                                /usr/local/<package_name>/man
> and such.
> Then I do
> cd /usr/bin
> for i in ../local/<package_name>/bin/* ; do ln -s $i . ; done
> and the same for lib, man, sbin, etc...

Have a look at FAQ 4.7; what you're doing is called symlink style
package management. Personally I prefer to use depot instead of doing
things manually.

I am very happy to hear you succeeded, because (I've been posting
something about this on lfs-support) I'm trying the same at the moment
and not getting anything but trouble. To me it seems that the
configure path gets hardcoded into glibc, and this later makes ncurses
unusable (at least vim does think so). But I'm working on it.

If your manage to have a working system (a good test is to run some
blfs installs on it afterwards...), maybe you could write a hint on
how to do it?

Uli

--
Ulrich Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli