Improving S/N Ratio [Was: Re: subscription quiz]

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Tue Sep 24 10:45:55 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> Matthias Benkmann <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:
> ><snip>

> *Grin* You've been in college too long ;)
>
> Seriously, i have a couple things in the queue. If they prove practical,
> i plan to roll them out in early October. Current ideas are:
>
> 1) Tailored partial FAQ posting. Since the FAQ redesign this summer,
>    i can effortlessly generate documents containing only selected
>    [...]

>    [...] One, individual FAQs tend to experience periods of
>    "popularity", if you will. One entry will [...]
>
>    Two, a weekly posting will increase the FAQ's visibility [...]

I think you have a winner in these ideas. And they allow a lot of (some-
what speculative) possibilities for follow-on enhancements. More on that
some other day.

> 2) Kernel Traffic[1] style summaries. Fairly self explanitory if you're
>    familiar with the Kernel Cousins. I'm thinking extremely brief
>    summaries of threads that have a useful conclusion and are likely
>    to resurface. Only for lfs-support, blfs-support, and maybe lfs-dev
>    and, lest anyone misunderstand, put on the web, not posted.

Yes, yes, yes! And if we lobby for, and get, a *prominent* home page
placement, maybe the effect is even greater than anticipated.

> I'll be running tests over the next couple weeks to see what i can
> do without increasing my workload impractically. As usual, i welcome
> comments and suggestions.
>
> cheers,
> Seth W. Klein

Bill Maltby