subscription quiz

elko elko at home.nl
Tue Sep 24 14:53:29 PDT 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 18:07, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 16:49, Chris Lingard wrote:
> > But perhaps we should have some guidance as to how to answer
> > questions.  For the standard questions that we have all answered
> > many times ---  grep, gawk, PATH,  ncurses, ....  should we
> > have a standard rubber-stamp answer; as we all have different
> > styles in replying.
>
> I thought that is what is the FAQ is for... If people don't find the faq
> before subscribing, why not setup listar so it posts the FAQ once you
> subscribe to a list? And I really think the *-support lists should get
> the FAQ biweekly.

I would not like to receive the FAQ every 2 weeks...

Make another mailinglist called lfs-faq:

When you subscribe to one of the lists, you automatically are
subscribed to lfs-faq and you get the entire FAQ when it is altered
and also right after you subscribe ("Your first message").
(You are never subscribed more then once to lfs-faq).

Put some explanation - at the top - on why you are receiving
the FAQ and a pointer to the signature with the unsubscribe info
(imo too few ppl read the signature when unsubscribing from a list);
maybe the explanation should include the entire "etiquette.txt".

The signature at the bottom should then say:
 Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
 and put 'unsubscribe lfs-faq' in the subject header of the message.

New subscribers would have to specifically unsubscribe from lfs-faq;
else, we could point them to the .sig in a simple paste...
--
	Elko
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org