Prerequisite skills?

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Fri Sep 27 09:44:29 PDT 2002

ken_i_m wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:23:51 -0600, Nathan Ladd wrote:
>

>> but ch6 didnt include
>> every mind numbing command.
>
> And lots of other great ideas in this thread.  But if the skill level
> is forced up in this manner the number of questions on the support
> list will increase.  I think, sharply.

Being guilty of copy and pasting everything and then asking stupid questions
on lfs-support (not recently, but....) I really like the idea of NOT making
it sooo easy to do this.  Yes the support requests will increase, but what
is wrong with that, when a simple "go read the Software-Building-HOWTO" is a
sufficient answer for the new questions we'll be recieving?  Better yet,
refering them to the guide being written by Ken (see quoted below).

> I have re-written 2/3 of the second draft of a guide for the
> Absolute-Beginner.  The aim is that a n00b who completes the guide
> will be at a level ready to begin LFS.  It is not the only pot I am
> stirring so I can't give a definite completion date.  I am also
> getting the local LUG members to give it a going over before we
> publish it.  Hopefully it will be the kind of resource that the LFS
> community will want to point folks who are not yet quite ready for
> LFS.

I also much like this idea.  I was the newbie who had no business doing LFS
when I started on it...somewhere, rounds about, two years ago.  IIRC, it
took me three or four times to get it right.  I'd like to see this when it's
nearing completion.  Ken, would you mind posting a link in lfs-chat when you
feel it's almost ready?

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org