Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 30 12:52:05 PDT 2002

On September 23, 2002 04:05 pm, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

<cut>

To keep it short: the idea in itself isn't bad at all. Actually quite good.
But I don't agree with using this kind of approach in the LFS Book.

"mount --bind" would work nicely, but it will then tie the old partitions in
with the new LFS ones. For use in the book it's not an option because I/we
need/want a strict seperation, so that means no connection with other
partitions in use by the host distribution and instead put all the downloaded
packages on that  new LFS partition.

If we were to use the mount --bind thing we have to also write two different
approaches for those whose distribution doesn't have 'mount --bind'
available. I doubt it'll make things simpler to use, at least from the book's
perspective.

But not even thinking about having to write a 'backup' method when 'mount
--bind' isn't available for some reason, the first point of "seperation" is
more important to me.

Writing these things up in form of a hint would be a great idea, but for use
in the book I think it's not going to work out well.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org