Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 30 14:40:46 PDT 2002

On September 30, 2002 03:29 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> for example, if you use mount --bind to access the packages you want to
> compile, then you acttually are using LESS stuff copied from the host,
> as those packages stay on the host and are never copied to the new LFS.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't agree with storing anything on
the host system. It then requires you having access to that partition
containing that other Linux installation so you can get to your tarballs. If
you'd ever want to remove that old Linux distro you'd have to copy all the
tarballs over to the LFS partition anyways. If you mount --bind from redhat's
/usr/src to LFS' /usr/src you require yourself to keep Redhat around even
longer because you now use its partition together with LFS. If you remove the
RH partition, you loose those files. If you don't mount the RH partition you
don't have access to the files.

To, it's not much different from mounting a MS Windows partition, copy the
files to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory and then mount --bind it to /usr/src.
If nothing else, it feels "dirty".

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org