Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:26:27 PDT 2002

From: "Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org>
To: <lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

> If you'd ever want to remove that old Linux distro you'd have to copy all
the
> tarballs over to the LFS partition anyways. If you mount --bind from
redhat's

Let's get physical.
(I know that what I'm going to say is not that simple , but I'll say it
anyway.)
If you make only one partition to host all your new system and the first
thing you put in there is all your sources, even if later on you move them
from /static to /usr/src, they don't really move.
So, instead of having binaries in your first blocks, you'll have sources.
It doesn't look pretty.
This also reminds me that the dynamic binaries are also going to be written
ahead of the static ones, which mean, your basic Linux system is now
somewhere in the middle of the partition.
Know, this looks ugly!
When a distro copies it's files into the disk, they end up being much more
well stored than this.
The only thing I can now remember to do is to have a independent partition
for /static. Then, in chapter 6, binaries (etc) will start being written
nice and tidy.

Rui Ferreira

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org