[Pure-LFS] TCL cannot be compiled

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Apr 3 08:46:08 PST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've a little problem with building the Pure-LFS system. I compiled
> binutils-2.13.2, gcc-3.2.2 and glibc-2.3.2 without a problem.
> Altering the linker scripts was no problem either, but when I change
> the spec file to set the linker point to /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2,
> TCL 8.4.2 complains about "checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -s)
> works... no"
>
> But if I use the /lib/ld-linux.so.2 everything works just fine.

I don't know the answer, but do you have this?

    /stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-2.3.2.so

> Here is the config.log TCL gives me:
>
> <config.log>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:575: checking whether to use symlinks for manpages
> configure:587: checking compression for manpages
> configure:615: checking for gcc
> configure:728: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -s) works
> configure:744: gcc -o conftest   -s conftest.c  1>&5
> /stage1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: no input files
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:
>
> #line 739 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> main(){return(0);}
> </config.log>

My config log has some differences before your failure point. Maybe
these are a clue?

   creating cache ./config.cache
   checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no
   checking compression for manpages... no
   checking for gcc... gcc -s
   checking whether the C compiler (gcc -s  -s) works... yes
   checking whether the C compiler (gcc -s  -s) is a cross-compiler... no
   checking whether gcc -s accepts -g... yes

I use Ryan's test-harness scripts with a host of LFS 4.0, with some
upgrades and a few BLFS items, enough to get X working. In Ryan's
scripts, the glibc-2.3.2, gcc-3.2.2 and HJL binutils are used.

Also, there have been some posts about things that needed patching to
work correctly (mmap, vsnprintf) and the setting of the resolv.conf.
Maybe some of these have the solution?

HTH

--
Bill Maltby