Pure LFS hint v.1.0: About gcc-2.95.3

Vladimir Ogay hsitef at pisem.net
Fri Apr 4 01:12:18 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003/04/02 at 14:48,  Ronald Hummelink wrote:

VO> In my humble opinion, gcc-2.95.3 needs to be compiled twice (at the
VO> least) for build a fully "self-contained" and "self-hosting" gcc.

RH> I don't think so, and this is why:
RH> You build with 'trusted' binutils, glibc and gcc.
RH> gcc does bootstrapping, which means JUST the first stage compiler is
RH> build with gcc 3.2.2
RH> The GCC bootstrap does a 3 stage bootstrap, so the installed compiler is
RH> already build with gcc 2.95.3

The gcc bootstrap for gcc-3.2.2 does a 3 stage bootstrap too, but we
build gcc-3.2.2 once again in Chapter 5.

And I think that gcc-3.2.2 is not 'trusted' compiler for gcc-2.95.3,
like as host c compiler (gcc-2.95.3 in the hint) is not 'trusted' for
gcc-3.2.2, which compiled in Chapter 5.

---
Best regards, Vladimir.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org