Okay let's get down to business again
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 6 20:03:30 PDT 2003
I'll probably be apologizing profusely for the next couple of months but I
rather just do it once now and get it over with.
I want you all to know that I'm not happy with the way things turned out. This
is purely my fault so I don't blame anybody except myself.
When I started with the printed book thing, I expected it to be done in a week
or two. So at first I didn't think it to be a terribly bad idea to pause
development for those few weeks. Then a few weeks turned into a month,
another one and finally until last week.
The problem with continuing development earlier was a purely financial point
of view. We would have had LFS-5.0 ready before LFS-4.1 could be available.
Not many people would buy 4.1 if 5.0 is out right? That would probably have
sealed the doors shut for potential future book releases so I had a
(personal) incentive to do what I did. I am sorry for how it was done.
For what it is worth, I've learned a lot of valuable lessons and next time (if
there's a next time, it all depends on how many books are going to be sold
over the next couple of months) I'll be handling it differently that won't
force us (well, me actually) to pause development for any length of time
Now that everything is finally in motion and has gained enough momentum I can
start pulling things back together again and pick up where we left.
I do regret all that has happened but it was partly out of my control. I can
only hope that things haven't degraded too much over the last months. If it
has, I'll be sure to kick myself in the behind for many months to come.
Now the next snag we hit is with the new provider for the LFS server. The
company wasn't able to offer us hosting for various reasons. One of them
being that the 'sponsor' was probably going to leave the company which means
all his personal servers would have to be disconnected (that would have
included the LFS server) and there were other technical reasons that made
them decide they couldn't host non-paying customers anymore (again LFS would
have been in that category). In a way I guess I can be glad it also took me
that long to get the server shipped out again. If'd have been sent back to me
last week and I'd have gotten only a weeks notice to make all the arangements
of moving services and data over. That was not something I could have dealt
with on top of everything else.
So, Jesse remains hosting the LFS server until new arangements can be made.
This time I can be real quick for a change. The server is in its box and
funds are secured to ship the server out to whomever. It's just a matter of
calling UPS and have them pick it up. I'm also looking at options of
colocating the server myself in Calgary or immediate vicinity. It'll make
things more secure, _IF_ proper funding can be aranged. I'd like to be able
to restore full services as we used to have (maybe with a reduced FTP
service, or FTP on mirrors only and make the server a master rsync but not
publically available). That means more bandwidth and increased costs which I
can't pay out of my own pocket (if I were to do that, I could only guarantee
a max. of about 6 months of uptime before I need to fall back on donations. I
rather receive donations first so I'll have a comfortable buffer). Anyways
that's a different matter which I'll discuss another time. My priority is
getting LFS and the community up and running again with the resources we do
Now that's all been said and done (let me say sorry one more time for good
measure --- sorry! ;o) let's get down to business. Starting tomorrow I will
be back with LFS full-time. I'll start catching up with all the mailinglist
lists and deal with the immediate important outstanding issues, and
bugzilla'ing the rest.
-*- If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem -*-
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe lfs-dev' in the subject header of the message
More information about the lfs-dev