Listar (Re: Formal notice)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 7 19:38:23 PDT 2003

On April 7, 2003 03:58 pm, Seth W.Klein wrote:
> On the other hand, people like me actually prefer getting the off-list
> duplicate of direct replies. I wish you would use a script that deletes

Scripts and filters are not the issue at hand. I can easily setup a filter or
use en existing setup to weed out those duplicates. But I can't really do
that. When something 'urgent' is going on, people sometimes to CC: me as well
as the list. I don't always check the lists on a per-minute basis so there's
a few days lag sometimes before I get to read an email that required my
immediate attention a few days ago. If duplicates are removed, I'd lose that
"feature" if you will (Seth, you yourself have done this by CC'ing when there
are somewhat urgent things to be dealt with).

> I understand what you're saying but i am on other lists that don't munge
> the reply-to header and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm on plenty of those lists too and I too don't find it a problem largely
because I hardly email them, I mostly lurk, so I only get a duplicate email
every now and then when I do post something. I can deal with one or two
duplicates a week. Sure I could even deal with hundreds a week or day even.
It's just a matter of deleting them all while glancing at its contents and
determine "reply now and wait until I read it later on the mailinglist
itself".

I'll think about this issue some more and who knows something might happen
(now if everyboyd starts ganging up on me and hundreds of people tell me they
want the munging disabled I'll have to cave in guaranteed).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org