Glib-3.2.1 error using Pure LFS

Michael Villeza mvvilleza at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 22:54:07 PDT 2003

 --- Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote: > On
Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:43:31AM +0100, Michael
> Villeza wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm following Pure LFS. Everything was fine until
> Chapter 5 - Installing glibc. I followed the
> commands:
>
> <snip>
>
> > configure stops with error message ***These
> critical programs are missing or too old***
> >

> > I noticed during configure that it checked the
> versions for gcc and make, my gcc is 3.2.1 while my
> make is 3.78.1. I already installed make-3.80 as an
> lfs user, but glibc configure still sees make
> 3.78.1. But if I run make -v, it's already make-3.80
> although the host system is still make-3.78.1.
>
> Hmmm, interesting. I just checked the configure for
> glibc-2.3.2 and it
> indeed does seem that make-3.78.1 is too old for
> glibc. You've done the
> right thing by installing a newer make into /stage1.
>
> But I fail to see why the configure script would not
> select the 1st one
> found in the path.
>
> It looks like you can override the configure script
> by using the "MAKE"
> environment variable. Something like below might do
> the trick:-
>
>   MAKE=/stage1/bin/make CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
> ../glibc-2*/configure blah...
>
> Greg
> --
> I followed your suggestion, another error pops out:
/mnt/lfs/src/glibc-build/config.h:3:3: #error "glibc
cannot be compiled without optimization"
make[2]: ***
[/mnt/lfs/src/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o] error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/src/glibc-2.3.1/csu'
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/src/glibc-2.3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer