-O3 optimization

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 04:56:43 PDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:52:28 -0300
"Rodolfo Lima" <rodolfo at rodsoft.org> wrote:

> Why you guys don't use -O3 optimization throughout the building of
> packages?
> <snip>
> I think loop unrolling and inline functions can do a lot for
> performance...

Because some code can't be optimised in this way and -O3 has been known to
cause gcc to produce incorrect code which in turn causes hard to find
bugs.  -O2 seems to be safer in this respect, but I didn't think that
optimisations were specified in the commands, or are you talking about
pure-lfs here?

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org