-O3 optimization

Dan Osterrath do3 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Apr 9 05:26:04 PDT 2003

> Yes, I was talking about pure-lfs. I've already heard of this "bug" of gcc,
> but isn't it something that happened in previous versions (2.98,...)? This
> seems to have become a kind of taboo :) I'll try to build an pure-lfs
> version with -O3 and test if it's ok. I'm using a rather slow machine and i
> want to know how much I gain for using those extra optimizations.

You should keep in mind that code compiled with -O3 will become larger than
code compiled with -O2 or -Os. Therefore applications need more RAM. This
might slow down your system more then going back to -O2 as the kernel will
swap other data to swap partition.

%> ln -s /dev/null /dev/brain
%> ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/world
%> dd if=/dev/world of=/dev/brain