Binutils Alpha-related bugfix

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 11 17:15:04 PDT 2003

Pretty much all recent versions of binutils have a long-standing
bug when targeting Alpha, as noted here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10326

Most notably, the bug breaks compilation of kdegames-3.1.x with
the following error:

    relocation truncated to fit: GPREL32 *UND*

It doesn't actually cause any latent brokenness in binaries or
libraries (at least as far as anyone knows), so unless you've
seen the above error during compilation, this bug doesn't affect
you.

The bug was finally fixed yesterday.  I've posted the patch here:

http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha/lfs/patches/binutils-2.13.2.1-gprel32.patch

The patch was contributed by Richard Henderson.  All I did was
help get the bug re-opened, so the developers could get
pressured to fix it.  It now appears to build kdegames fine; in
a few days, I'll see how well it builds the rest of my system.

I expect H.J. Lu's binutils will merge the fix soon.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org