Problems with long usernames

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 12 05:01:12 PDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> But my question about top is sitll not answered. Does your 'top' truncate long
> usernames (as my 'top' does) or display numeric IDs instead of them (as
> RedHat's)? In other words, is my 'top' program misconfigured?

 I'm running procps-2.0.11 here (i.e. the Rik van Riel / Robert Love
version), which is closer to what RH use than the version in LFS.  I
tried creating a user with a long name, and it displayed the truncated
name. The man page lists the uid as one of the things displayed, but it
doesn't seem to display automatically for me.  It mentions /etc/toprc
and ~/.toprc as being available to control how top works, but I only
skimmed it and didn't really understand it.

 I've got an RH 8.0 partition here, I've just chrooted into it, created
a user with a long name, su'd to that user and run top - the user name
is truncated!  Maybe somebody has created a toprc file on your RH
system ?

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org