Updated buildscripts (2.2.7)

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Apr 12 14:58:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 00:31:31 +0000 (UTC)
Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> Greetings All
>
> Another update, pretty much only the ch5 script.
<snip>

> Anyway, as usual abuse/patches/comments all welcome

I've not got around to RTFM for patch so you'll have to make do with my
ramblings for now :)

1. Line 1411 has an inaccurate comment.  It reads: "# If we are using
coreutils, dont install fileutils" but we're actually installing textutils
and sh-utils there :)

2. Ncurses doesn't get built with the usual CFLAGS and LDFLAGS variables.
I now know why (it halted my build for about 30 mins while I tried to
figure it out!) but there are no comments in the scripts, or any mention
of the breakage in the pure_lfs.txt hint - and yes I do appreciate that
the buildscripts are ahead of the hint, just thought I'd leave this as
a "reminder"

3. Lines 1616-1617 read:

cd /stage1/bin
ln -s /stage1/bin/bash /stage1/bin/sh

Couldn't that just be simplified to "ln -s bash /stage1/bin/sh"?  I might
be having a "senior moment" with ln usage here but I think that should
work.

Aside from that I've managed to get through the chapter-5 section of
pure_lfs without any trouble other than that caused by my own stupidity.
I used Knoppix-3.2-2003-03-30 as my host distro and built the most
up-to-date packages available as of today.  The only issue I've got with
using knoppix is that being a CD based distro, /etc gets mounted ro, which
means that running `ldconfig` (for bzip2 & ncurses) spews out an error
concerning not being able to write to /etc/ld.so.conf.  I don't think this
is cause for concern as a) Knoppix uses the same versions of those
libraries and b) I've been depending on the hosts libraries during the
rest of the install anyway haven't I?

Thanks for a great hint anyway,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org