Updated buildscripts (2.2.7)

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Sat Apr 12 23:21:18 PDT 2003

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> I've not got around to RTFM for patch so you'll have to make do with my
> ramblings for now :)

:-) Just run a diff -uNr between the 2, redirect to an outfile

> 1. Line 1411 has an inaccurate comment.  It reads: "# If we are using
> coreutils, dont install fileutils" but we're actually installing
textutils
> and sh-utils there :)

/me does an impossible gymnastic feat and kicks my own arse ;-)
I have this bad habit of copying chunks and not updating the comments :-/

> 2. Ncurses doesn't get built with the usual CFLAGS and LDFLAGS variables.
> I now know why (it halted my build for about 30 mins while I tried to
> figure it out!) but there are no comments in the scripts, or any mention
> of the breakage in the pure_lfs.txt hint - and yes I do appreciate that
> the buildscripts are ahead of the hint, just thought I'd leave this as
> a "reminder"

Ta, we'll get around to updating the hint soonish, currently we are pretty
much just testing the hell out of things ( in our copious amounts of spare
time ;-) who needs sleep anyway ;-) )

> 3. Lines 1616-1617 read:
>
> cd /stage1/bin
> ln -s /stage1/bin/bash /stage1/bin/sh
>
> Couldn't that just be simplified to "ln -s bash /stage1/bin/sh"?

hehehe yeah, it could... or we could drop the cd ...

> Aside from that I've managed to get through the chapter-5 section of
> pure_lfs without any trouble other than that caused by my own stupidity.

Good to hear

> I used Knoppix-3.2-2003-03-30 as my host distro and built the most
> up-to-date packages available as of today.  The only issue I've got with
> using knoppix is that being a CD based distro, /etc gets mounted ro,
which
> means that running `ldconfig` (for bzip2 & ncurses) spews out an error
> concerning not being able to write to /etc/ld.so.conf.

Hmmm, sounds like PATH might have been set incorrectly (was this from the
script? )

After glibc has been built chapter 5 (and /stage1/etc/ld.so.conf created if
needed ) you should use /stage1/sbin/ldconfig, it'll update
/stage1/etc/ld.so.cache for the ch5 dynamic linker (
/stage1/lib/ld-linux.so.2 )

> Thanks for a great hint anyway

You're welcome and thanks for the constructive feedback Matt.

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org