Updated buildscripts (2.2.7)

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 13 02:08:08 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:45:06AM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> No it wasn't from the script, and there's the problem.  I have been
> using both the hint and the script itself to make my own scripts up
> from (in a bid to actually learn something rather than just have a

Me too :)

> ready-made plfs system).  I've now just found where PATH gets amended
> in the scripts (at the end of binutils-pass2) but looking at the hint it
> makes no mention of having to explicitly add /stage1/sbin to the PATH (it
> only adds /stage1/bin).  Now here's a question - can this be set in  the

My view is that /stage1/sbin does not need to be in the PATH. Chapter 5 is
meant to be built as non-root (tho' I know Ryan has indicated in the past he
builds Ch 5 as root) so IMHO the PATH should reflect a non-root user.

In actual fact, ldconfig is not needed . Glibc "knows" where it is installed
and all libs in /stage1/lib will be found by binaries linked against the
glibc in /stage1/lib because the embedded dynamic linker in those binaries
is the one in /stage/lib.

If one really wants to run ldconfig then just run it directly by invoking
/stage1/sbin/ldconfig

> One other thought - when someone get's around to updating the hint could
> they sync up the use of patches and seds (I'm thinking of ncurses here in

Not possible. I've written the hint to be somewhat in line with style of the
book i.e. it assumes interactive typing of the commands. Ryan's scripts are
exactly that, scripts. Lots of stuff gets done in scripts that one would
never do interactively. Also keep in mind that the scripts are really just a
PLFS test harness (as well as being bloody good examples of how to script an
LFS build :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org